We know community stakeholders trust you to make decisions everyday on their behalf.
This historical preservation and adaptive reuse of a 1925 Elementary School to a modern High School Campus implemented project-specific team processes and approaches to achieve goals. We carefully coordinated abatement of hazardous materials (lead, asbestos, soil treatment containments).
The special purpose school for the training of high school students to pursue careers in Public Safety and Fire Sciences provides training as well as on-campus academic classes necessary for high school graduation. Hunt & Caraway Architects worked closely with the State Preservation Office, F.Q. Story Homeowners’ Association, PUHSD Curriculum Director, Principal, and Department Instructors to fulfill community, aesthetic, environmental, and academic goals as a “community” project.
Our services also provided assessment and remodel of mechanical, electrical, plumbing, structural, and other special (security, fire, communications) building systems. Energy conservation was accomplished through the removal of package air conditioning units and installation of a central plant. In addition, Hunt & Caraway Architects developed existing spaces into health classrooms, lecture-style classrooms, science classrooms with wet and dry laboratory, simulator room for emergency vehicles and firearms/target training as well as outdoor learning areas.
Peoria Old Main is an adaptive reuse and renovation of a historic building originally built in 1922 on the Peoria High School campus. This three-story building has been developed to accommodate a separate nontraditional high school and advanced specialized training center. The design utilized existing infrastructure and site utilities to minimize site costs and was able to remediate drainage issues with enhanced site improvements.
The facility includes the most modern collaborative computer environments, open classroom learning pods and flexible science classrooms. This Design/Build project includes renovation to the central plant, creation of administrative offices and restroom remodels. The design concept was interwoven with the curriculum development for the spaces, creating a hand tailored facility to meet needs of the students within the learning space.
The project also introduced a turnkey procurement process to the Peoria Unified School District, incorporating furniture and equipment design to follow the curriculum development.
This City of Glendale Public Safety Facility is located on north 59th Avenue on 2.88 acres of existing citrus trees on the northeast corner of the Glendale Community College campus. The building’s appearance is that of the “turn of the century” to blend with the adjacent Sahuaro Ranch historic site. Its design is a bridge between the historic park setting and the contemporary design of GCC. A focal point of the site is the eight foot high by 20 foot long sculptured brick mural honoring fire fighters and their contribution to Glendale.
The station has a total of 15,161 square foot within its two-story structure and includes private sleeping quarters for two companies (ten fire fighters) located on the second floor (with stairs and a brass pole for descending to the apparatus bay floor), a day room/dining/kitchen, physical fitness room, a second floor library, a biohazard cleaning room, storage rooms, Turn-out room, four 50 foot apparatus bays and an administrative area for the Battalion chief and Captain. The facility also includes a 2,800 square foot secured Emergency Operations Center (recently remodeled to also be used
for full time Traffic Management Center), and two (2) classrooms used by GCC for instruction in their fire science courses.